Sunday 13 January 2013

Keeping It Real

I may not be the most qualified person to write a book on bad bosses or on employer-employee relationship since I have not been an employee for too long and I have only had a short experience as a boss running my small company, however I have learned the hard way not to sacrifice inspiration on the alter of experience and that been an employee for many years do not automatically translate to hands-on experience or wisdom in handling both office politics or corporate warfare.

My first unpublished work was on relationship, I wrote a complete book on the power of infatuation which aptly described the thin line between real love and infatuation. The book was finished in less than 6 months but was never published because someone convinced me that I was single not qualified to write on relationships.

As soon as I left her office something in me died as I clung on to the popular myth that experience was far better than inspiration; an age long myth. I must confess, that while with age comes wisdom and experience is a good teacher, we cannot overemphasis the power of inspiration guided by the experience of others.

Today, I regret not publishing my first work and this feeling of regret grows stronger any time I share an excerpt of that unpublished work with young people and receive positive feedbacks from them on how my talk with them on infatuation has really helped them. Till date a good number of young people are clamouring for that book albeit unpublished. One day I may have to take another look at that work but today I want to focus my energy on addressing one burning issue-the issue of horrible or bad bosses.

Book Title-Coming Soon!
Work is a task many people hate for 40 years of their life. It does not have to be that way. As career people we spend the better part of our day at work with our colleagues and our bosses and there is nothing more challenging than having to grapple with your Job functions, colleagues and a horrible boss.

One of my bosses once said that the office is a war zone and that it takes an understanding of different war scenarios to scale through the hurdles of our everyday work life.
 In deed the office is a war zone, and most times you are in competition with your colleagues who secretly revel in your defeat and your boss who instead of being an ally and a mentor inadvertently becomes a foe whose so aim is to use as a stepping stone to the next big opportunity or promotion.

This book is divided into 4 modules. In module 1-Corporate Rules, I have tried to explain the rules guiding your relationship with your boss and provided tips on how manage your colleagues and your boss.


Module 1-Understanding Corporate Rules

In Module 2-Unmasking Your Boss, I outlined the different types of bosses, their weaknesses, strengths and strategies on how to work with them.
Module 2-Unmasking You Boss

In Module 3-Survival Strategies, I explained the importance and place of prayer, the importance of self awareness and outlined tips on how to make your self more relevant in your organization. I also explained the importance of setbacks and how you can stage a comeback when knocked down by setbacks.

Module 3-Survival Strategies

 In Module 4 -Exit Rules, I outlined the 10 worst employees that a boss can have and also explained the rules of engagement as regards confronting one’s boss and how best to exit your job if you have to.

Module 4-Exist Rules
This book will show how to work with any boss and help you discover what I learned the hard way, that having a bad boss along your carrier path may not be altogether bad as they play a major role in helping your discover your true self, become more conscious of your work and environment, become a better boss yourself and evolve over time into a masterpiece that can not be overlooked or ignored.
Indeed it is okay to have a bad boss as the experience helps you become a better boss.


Darlington Onyeagoro (Celebrity Banker)


No comments: